Saturday, July 30, 2011

Doing a spot of Weekending...

Good Morning,
I have yet to go to bed as it is now the wee hours of Saturday...life as normal in Blogdom. I am about to start a marathon all weekend crafting session so as to be a reasonably sane woman before my hols next week. DT work and project commitments tug at my sleeve... Absolutely adore designing for Simon Says but I really wanted to create something "off duty" and not miss Grungy Monday. Indulge in the pleasures of Rock Candy tricks here!
I painted a tag with Paper Artsy Snowflake paint, roughly blending Pumice Stone ink over the top when dry. Then I painted the whole tag with Rock Candy Distress paint swooshing the ink as I went. I was apparently a bit of a stingy spreader and had to do a second coat to get a decent crackle. You need to gloop... Now I see why there's a big pot on the market.
I then used a mix of Brushed Corduroy, Black Soot and more Pumice Stone inks to bring out the texture and tones. I wanted the look of old painted wood. I dived into my Wendy Art Parts and inked up the leafy flourish and layered it with the heart which has been inked up with Fired brick and Black Soot. I gave it a rough crackle effect with Paper Artsy crackle followed by Claudine Hellmuth Tan paint. Just playing with the monotone shades...
It needed a bit of contrast and more interest so I choose a touch of white with some gessoed chicken wire and a fabric scrap. The tag edges have been well distressed and inked and the Idea-ology helped balance things out. Always liking a touch of metal...

 You can see the Rock Candy effect better on these pics and also the twine which I bound around the heart. It just needed a hefty dose of Glossy Accents and half an hour lying under my Crop-a-Dile to get it all stuck down.  There's a lot of dimension going on so it is pretty hard to photograph, especially at midnight when it's just too dark.

After all that I am still very happy I made some time to play and now I feel ready for the big stuff...
I hope you like the monochrome tones. Thanks for being here, do drop me a line and let me know what you think. See you soon,

Sarah

22 comments:

Shelann said...

Love all of the monochrome tones, they look like vintage wood, so pretty.

Gabrielle said...

Just gorgeous! Really lovely idea and beautifully done. Like the chicken wire - wondering why I don't have any?!!!

Lesley Edmonds said...

This is very organic. I love it!

craftytrog said...

Love the rustic look of your tag Sarah! Beautiful tones & textures! Just returned from my hols, hope you enjoy yours! xx

Kathy Eddy said...

This is fantastic! I love monochromatic and brown is a perfect choice here! Very well done!

Anonymous said...

Excellent tag, it really looks like painted wood, at first I thought you cut a tag from balsa wood. The warm colors and texture bring great depth to your piece.

Caroline said...

Using chicken wire is just genious! Wonderful tag!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

I love the monochrome tones and the heart is gorgeous and like Brian says just like wood. Great texture too. Enjoy your weekend. Tracy x

SusanK said...

Fabulous! Not anonymous but Blogger won't let me comment as opossumqueen1955@yahoo. Grrr.

SusanK said...

Well, what do you know...it DID let me comment. Go figure.

Suze Bain said...

This really does look like weathered wood and I love the chicken wire. Fabulous. xx

Marjie Kemper said...

You sure did achieve the old wood look - fab tag and I love the chicken wire!

Hettie said...

You have done a fab job on this and I love it!! Got the chicken wire!! LOL!!

Micki said...

Ohhhh I love that vintage old wood worn look. AWESOME.

Talking Horses Arts said...

Looks awesome thanks for sharing.It has that wonderful nature feeling to it, love it!
Andrea.

Diana said...

this is one marvelous piece!!!

Art By Wanda said...

Love this tag!!!!

Jenny said...

This is gorgeous Sarah, I love all the texture and natural tones....and chicken wire too, love it :)
Jenny x

FerrellGraph-x said...

I'm so glad you too a moment and left me such a lovely comment on my blog. Thank you! I'm really loving your artwork, it's fabulous!
Kindest regards,
Jennifer Ferrell

The Craft Cupboard Under the Stairs said...

Truly fabulous! I love your work!

PsyPenguin said...

Gorgeous tag! I love the rustic style and the cracked heart is really beautiful. xx

Geri said...

This is gorgeous! Thanks for linking into artsee bloggers!