Monday, May 23, 2011

Make a Little Birdhouse for your Soul...

Well Hello Monday,
Here we are again in post-weekend mood so it's time also to share my new Design piece and the challenge over at Simon Says Stamp & Show. The photo is a slight hint but, for the record, this week we are going à la Wendy Vecchi by celebrating the Studio 490 style. So butterflies, polka dots and flowers do indeed abound in plenty!
As an all or nothing girl, I decided to jump in heads first with lots of Wendy Vecchi stamps, Art Parts and Clearly for Art. Think Wendy, think flowers...I instantly knew I wanted to create a floral extravaganza and there began a journey of stamping, scissor-work, sanding and sticking! I've had my eye on this old wooden beam from my shed for a while and it made a perfect and natural base for my piece.

The flowers are created using the Live and Make Art and Be Happy Make Art stamp sets along with some of the Art Parts Florals. I chose these because wanted to mount the flowers on wire and also achieve a consistent look (and save the other shapes for next time!) I used lots of different materials and patterns but stayed with a brown and blue mood which always comes up trumps for me!

 Here I have glued design papers to Grunge Paper for extra strength and flexibility. I stamped and cut out the large flower, stamped the words in Sepia Ink and added some shading with Stormy Sky Distress Ink. I have been a good and fussy lady inking all the edges, flower backs, and then sealing them all with Matt medium. A job indeed - but definitely worth it for the finish and durability... I want to build 'em to last. It was a fair bit of scissor work but I quite like snipping away...helps me relax!

Here you can see two variations. The left flower is a duo of design paper and Clearly for Art coloured with Alcohol inks. The right one is a lurvely chunky Art Part painted with the truly yummy Studio paints from Claudine Hellmuth. Then I stamped, sanded and edged with Distress ink. If you want to get more into paint - these are just great. I invested in them quite a while back and love them. Fabulous colours, quality and a myriad of possibilities.

Here is my little bird house...! Made from the Art Parts Scallops set. I covered it with paper, stamped and again took time to sand the edges for a smooth finish and also to allow the ink to take better. (I'm not just mad you know...)I trimmed the bottom just a little to balance out the roof and created the back using some stitched Sticky back Canvas. I stamped and embossed the phrase with Distress Powder, cutting it in three to fit into the house. And look at that, my birdy friend  can perch just perfectly on the ledge. I do like life when a creative plan comes together.

 I felt the need for a spattering of red and green but also wanted to keep things simple as the flowers are quite elaborate. Art Part leaves have been embossed with Peeled Paint Distress Powder giving great texture and colour. I really like look of the raw wood complete with rusty nails, and yes, my house is still intact! Although there is plenty left to plunder in the old loo house yet...

The butterflies are stamped on Grunge paper, coloured with Fired Brick Distress ink. I added a double ribbon metal thingamajig (?), re-stamped the word FLY and glued it on top. I've got a zilllion things in my Embellie Deli so time to get them out and on the job. Mission accomplished here, because even if I do say so myself (which I am), methinks they looketh good. I glued the flowers to wire, drilled some holes in the wood (not for those with dental phobia) and in they all went. Standing strong during a rather windy garden shoot!

Yes - another flower pic. Here you can see the Alcohol Ink-dipped washers, nuts and press-studs I used for the centres. I have to say I had a ball creating this and working with all the Wonders of Wendy. I'm already a stamping nut, so all good there, but I didn't expect to have so much fun with the Art Parts. I must be honest - I get a bit feverish if something is pre-cut and "ready-to-go" but these quality pieces are very willing to go with your flow. Still experimenting with Clearly For Art. You just need to take some time to play around and see what works for you. Oh, there's oodles I could share but I must wrap it up. If you have any questions, just let me know.

Back to HQ again...I hope you now feel all flower-enpowered and ready to join in with the challenge. Don't forget it's Studio 490 style...so whether you have lots of Wendy stash or not, it's about being inspired, creative and yourself! Head on over to the Simon Says blog for details and some great pieces from the rest of the Design Team. The Top Three Coveted Award and $50 shopping spree awaits...


Thank you all so much for calling by each week and all the lovely words from last week. I read and appreciate them all. Simply said - love to create, share and hopefully inspire...

See you soon,
Sarah.

28 comments:

Chris Arlington said...

Wow! this is wonderful. So cheery! it's still Sunday for me but I should hit the sack.

kissinia said...

Nice, nice, nice! Love this one! Colours are fab. I love the flowers and butterflies (especially the detail in the middle) a lot!

hazel said...

This is great. I loveg all the flowers and the little bird house and the colours are fabulous.
xxx Hazel.

Kathy Eddy said...

This is just fantastic! Love all your flowers.

JulieD said...

Amazing piece - really cheerful and summery with so much detail. I love all the colours!

Angie said...

LOVE it! Thanks for creating & sharing! Can't wait to get going on a project now..you've inspired me!

Lori said...

Oooo, totally love this piece, Sarah! Wonderful work, I love all those flowers!

craftytrog said...

Breathtakingly beautiful & totally inspiring! Love this piece Sarah! x

Unknown said...

Alison took the words right out of my mouth ... this is such a beautiful piece of work ... LOVE it!

Candy C said...

Hello Sarah! Your lovely flower garden is so adorable. The colors are so vibrant and so much fun. You can't help but smile when you see all of those flowers! It's like they are saying "HELLO!" Even down to all of the little centers of the flowers...they each have their own personality. The little birdhouse is adorable as well. Beautifully done piece. <3 Candy

Art By Wanda said...

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is totally awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wendy vecchi said...

from one flower lover to another...
this is AMAZING!
I LOVE IT!
wendy

scrappin-scrappin said...

Absolutely Gorgeous Sarah!! What a lot of work you put into this!! Awesome!!

Gerri Herbst said...

Incredible design piece..Love the 3d quality and the little metal buckle on the butterfly is brillant.Think Ill check out this challenge too. Thanks for commenting on my blog yesterday. gerri ;)

Suzanne Bouchard said...

Wow. This is so heart warming! Bravo!

Kaz Hall said...

Stunning......love this sarah xx

Marjie Kemper said...

Wow, Sarah, this is fantastic! Love all the layered flowers and your colors are gorgeous.

Lesley Edmonds said...

What a fabulous project Sarah. Just too gorgeous!! Love all those flowers and colours.
x

Rhea said...

Very inspiring piece!

Sid said...

What a fab creation !!

Jackie Elwin said...

a fab floral display! Love it!

Silvia(Barnie) said...

I'm missing words, just wonderful.

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Gorgeous colors and concept, you’d make Wendy proud! :)

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp

Juls said...

wow this is such an amazing project! HUgs Juls

Anonymous said...

I caught the title to your blog and wasn't sure what "They Might be Giants" had to do with crafting, but had to find out. This is stunning, a prodigious garden of flowers. That they are hand-cut, shattered me, They are perfect. Your colors are yummy and remind me of cookies. Great blog!

Melody (lacyquilter) said...

This is awesome! So much yumminess and inspiration.

Andrea said...

I found you from Isas Blog und I must come back! You make so many fantastic cards and projects, just beautiful!

It's so sad, that there is no follower-button in the sidebar!

Thank you for so much inspriation!

SusanLotus said...

Stunning project! Very beautiful!