Saturday, July 23, 2011

Just a footnote...

Hi There,
As usual, it's (ahem) o'clock and I'm in to post... Just finished the last stitches on a DT piece which means I will now be able to retain a certain level of sanity at a wedding tomorrow. Had visions of me turning my heat gun on during the "I Do..." bit. Just sharing my piece for Linda's Grungy Monday where Mr. Holtz's Grungepaper takes centre stage. Thought I'd take a break from tags and try something different.
 You can stitch it, ink it, distress it, glue it, emboss it and make shoes with it. I think I'm having a girly week and fell for the charms of small tootsies... After an intensely grubby inking session resulting in a chronic frostbite finger effect.

You often see paper shoes but I wanted to try out grunge paper especially as I seem to be  in yet another sewing phase. I used Stormy Sky and Vintage Photo and sewed around the edges before sticking on the soles

There's just two pieces (lots of patterns online) although the glue work was rather fiddly. Needed 4 pairs of hands and a million pegs. Love the texture and colours which create a real vintage mood. Lined the inside with some design paper for a nicer finish and found two old buttons which seemed really baby shoeish to me.

My machine was in a funny mood but you can really sew with it and I would love to try out more ideas sometime. Ah, time, that elusive thing...

The soles have also been embossed, inked and stitched for a little extra detail. Stars to celebrate the first steps taken on The Walk of Life!

That's me done again. Hope you like them and are also trying out your tricks! Do let me know...would love to hear from you. Signing off and ready to crash... Thanks for taking time to call by,

Sarah

21 comments:

Debbie said...

These shoes are so adorable, Sarah! I love them! How very creative! They look like they have been worn by a little person! I need to think "outside the box" more. Awesome job! Alas, time is running out and I don't think I will have a Grungy Monday entry this week! Hopefully I will "play" next week!

alexa said...

These are just superb! Love the soft, worn look. Had never thought of stitching grunge paper, but am off to try.

Vicky Hayes said...

I've seen lots of paper shoes - all adorable - but I've never seen any that look this real or that have this attention to detail. They're gorgeous.

Vicky Hayes said...

Oops - meant to add: Enjoy the wedding!

minnie_mac said...

Absolutely gorgeous. Love 'em.

Marilyn

Minxy said...

OMG OMG OMG These are just the darn cutest shoes ever, so so creative and the texture is just perfect for them x

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Wow Wow these are just so adorable, Love love them and love the added embossing on the sole too, perfect. Tracy Evans x x

Lesley Edmonds said...

Oh WOW Sarah these little shoes are divine. What a wonderful idea to make these. They are perfect.
x

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

These are totally wonderful, Sarah! Love the color and the special touches with the lining and the soles - especially the embossed stars! Hope you enjoy the wedding and have a great weekend.

Hugs,
Linda

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

Wow! These look so cute. What a great idea to stitch the grungepaper into little shoes:)

Unknown said...

I have made these in paper but what a fab idea to make them with grunge paper I love them and the stitching is yum Dxx

Gillian .... said...

Hi Sarah .. This is way too cool for belief, these tootsies are soooo adorable, love the vintage feel they have with the DI you used. The soles are fab as is your sentiment behind it. xx

Jenny said...

Oh these are wonderful Sarah, they look like they're made from old denim and the stitching is brilliant...I'm surprised a sewing machine copes well with grungepaper.
Jenny x

The Craft Cupboard Under the Stairs said...

Sarah, these are absolutely perfect! Just right for a little dollie.

Monika/Buzsy said...

These are just the sweetest! Love the blue, the distressing... and the stars on the bottom are just perfect.

Linda Ledbetter said...

Oh, Sarah, I'm speechless! WOW! These shoes are incredible. Talk about taking grungepaper to a whole new level-- these are PERFECT! The little straps, the pretty, starry soles-- I'm in awe. Magnificent!!!

Anonymous said...

These are just darling, they are just way too cute for words. The color is beautiful and the stars are the perfect touch.

Hettie said...

WOW!! Those are absolutely the best thing I have seen in ages! They are so adoreable!! As Linda has said Magnificent!!! Even down to printing the soles!!

Marjie Kemper said...

Darling! And the stars on the soles are the icing on the cake!

Juls said...

wow these are just soooooooooooo cute!! Hugs Juls

Ohhh Snap said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh my bug!!!! These are just the best little shoes I've ever seen lol. Love the stars on the soles.