Monday, July 18, 2011

Broken Curiousity...

A Very Good Morning to All!
Monday has landed so let's jump straight in with my new piece for Simon Says Stamp & Show. We're delving into embossing this week, so plenty of paths to choose from... Our summer has gone AWOL but I kind of enjoyed the dark, overcast skies and let it influence my inky mood. Rich tones, raw textures and obscurity find a home in my Curiosity canvas.
I started by creating a cracked glass tag using Distress Inks and the Haberdashery set adding detail with punch waste and Wendy Vecchi stamps. I applied several thick coats of UTEE embossing powder to build up a glossy varnish and then laid her in the freezer for a few minutes. I was then able to breaks the 'glass' by bending the tag, then I worked a good dose of Distress Ink into the cracks for emphasis.

I am an ardent layer lover and went to town with stitched Glassine paper, stapled to an old book page stamped with Papillon. Underneath there is a piece of frayed Crinoline dyed with Color Wash as is the stitched binding strip. The tag lies on a bed of distressed and stitched canvas fabric and gessoed chicken wire. The Ornate plate has been aged with burnt Distress powder and Alcohol inks and contains a snippet of stamping behind a mica front.
Painted muslin, a stamped mica scrap and a wonderful vintage clock key adorned with a charm clip.

A closer look at the cracked glass. It is actually very shiny which created a great effect. I do advise a fresh pot of UTEE powder to avoid donations from all your previous projects!

More metal findings. Everything is set on a chunky cardboard off-cut which has been painted and stamped. I'm finding packaging to be a very attractive plaything which must mean I am morphing into either a two-year old child or a Labrador dog...

A few more details of the colours, stamping and cracked effect. To finish, the whole canvas is bound with jute string.

 That was my inky journey which was quite a path, but worth the walk! As said, I just followed the mood of the day with this one. An obscure feeling... fill in your own story of curiosity! Looking forward to seeing your expression in embossing! Do take a look at our blog and the other great creations from the Fabulous Design Team too.
The top three tiara or this generous prize might just have your name on it! I really hope to inspire a few hands and minds out there. Did it work??? I would love to hear from you and wish you all a FANTABULOUS week. Be seeing you soon...

Sarah.

15 comments:

kissinia said...

I just adore your attention to details. So much to look at! Brilliant!

craftytrog said...

So beautiful & grungy Sarah! Very inspiring too! Love it!
Alison x

Kathy Eddy said...

This piece is just exquisite grunge! I LOVE it. So many details and the coloring is wonderful.

Kaz Hall said...

So agree with above comment, sarah you have rocked this with a capital R!! So full of detail, I am off for another lookxx

kazxx

Karen said...

What a fantastic mix of media! I love the colours too.

Melody (lacyquilter) said...

Fabulous piece of artwork.

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Fabulous piece, I love love the rich tones and all the layers, gorgeous. Love the cracked enamel too. Very creative. Tracy x

Gillian .... said...

Rich tones, Raw texture & dark ... right up my street Sarah, this is inspirational as always, love the effect of the cracked Utee ... brilliant! x

Unknown said...

Wow - love the detail, and the unique way you have aged/textured this - very inspiring !
Danita

Lezlie S. said...

Beautiful! I can't even find words that express how wonderful this card is. The layering...everything is perfect...

Angie said...

Love this ...so much going on.

Juls said...

so fabulous!!!! Love all the layers and texture!!! Hugs Juls

Lucy Edmondson said...

This is gorgeous,

Lucy x

Monika/Buzsy said...

A true piece of art! Love it! The tag is fabulous... great textures!

Marjie Kemper said...

Outstanding! I enlarged this one and then bruised my chin as it hit my chest. Unbelievable eye candy on this piece. Thanks for sharing the deets - a trip to the freezer is in order for something on my end soon. Loved the 'avoid donations' tip too.