Thursday, September 1, 2011

MY MOJO MONTHLY SEPTEMBER - WORK IT!


SEE THE NEW MY MOJO MONTHLY HERE!

Welcome to September's My Mojo Monthly! The place for new inspiration and sharing your arty ideas. BIG thanks to everyone who called by and the fabulous creative entries. I'm really excited about this month and can't wait to share some loveliness. So, after the holidays, it's a WORK IT! theme to get you thinking. Whatever your crafty passion may be, I really want to kick start your Mojo and get your inky fingers moving! There's lots to see and another great prize on offer, but I'm here all month, so let's hear it for our September girl and featured artist, Jo Firth-Young!

FIVE QUESTIONS TO MY FEATURED ARTIST...
I've met Jo in the flesh and Blogdom and her creative energy is always so refreshing and very catching! I just love her bold use of colour, her modern twist on design and eye for fine detail in all she creates....
Who is Jo Firth-Young in five words?
Maker of Stuff! Searching. Eclectic.
 Where are you right now as an artist? I am always curious and excited to learn new things, to improve what I create. I'm always 'tweaking' projects even when they're finished. My work is quite neat and considered so I'm trying to free-up my style, to embrace the messy side of my creativity, trying to find a good middle ground between the two. I like to combine crafts on a project... sewing & paper, metal & paint, glass & collage for example.

Which of your creations is closest to your heart? The items I made for my wedding are special to me. They are the first items I ever had published. I sent them to Somerset Wedding (Stampington Publication) and they published the pieces as a four page spread and as the front cover image!
Very proud! I've had a copy of the front cover blown up. It's on the wall of my workroom to remind me to be brave, put myself out there and that good things can happen...

I also really love the small houses I create. Small, fiddly...back to the 'neat' side of my crafting!

Every one I create is different. When people buy them they choose them for a reason. Like the Patchwork House, bought by a lady who makes and sells patchwork quilts. Just perfect for her!
I also have a soft spot for my 'critters'. Wierd, little upcycled fabric creations, made without a pattern. I just sew the fabric together and see what happens! They're 'not quite right', a bit off centre, not quite straight, but that's their charm. They make me smile.

But often, the item I've just created is the one I like the most. Right now, I'm having lots of fun working with Paper Artsy's Fresco Finish Paints and Claudine Hellmuth's Creative Layers stamps.

Where do you find inspiration when feeling Mojoless? I read a lot of interiors magazines and I find those really inspiring, the use of colour and pattern. Or shopping, window displays are great!  Inspiration is everywhere. Plants, vegetables, clothes. Recently I saw a great pattern in a dish that was soaking in the kitchen! 
I carry a camera at all times because you never know when you might see something that will spark an idea. Sorting out and tidying my workroom is quite inspiring. I find all kinds of bits & pieces I'd forgotten I had. Also flicking through the paper stash is a great reminder and... the internet. There are so many inspirational sites, its mind boggling how much information we now have at our fingertips.

 You are going back-packing in the Himalayas for a year and may only take 3 crafting items. Which and why? Only three! This is hard! OK, I'll take a pencil and sharpener. Can I count those as one? A sketchbook and a digital camera. Then I can look at the photos even when its dark, and still sketch, create and be inspired. 
Jo designs for Banana Frog, PaperArtsy and Craft Stamper Magazine. See her art on the front cover of September's issue and visit her blog here. Wow!

Back at HQ...
Thanks so much Jo! It was great to meet you and your wonderfully colourful creativity... As said we're getting into shape with a "Work it!" theme for September. Like many of you I have favourite stamps that I love to use, just like Papillon (sigh) from Mr. Holtz. But when everyone is also in love with it and we've made all those tags...what then? Things can soon go stale. I decided to "Work it!" by looking for new ways to create with the four different stamps.
Here's a vintage card using lots of layers and distressed edges, yum! A vintage card is not shy to show off it's hand-made roots, so I thought a little hand stamped cotton tape would look right at home! You can also tear strips from old pillow cases too! I used the smaller, horizontal butterfly stamp and Coffee Archival ink by Ranger which is just perfect for this job.
 I created an aged feel by fraying the edges and gently working in Vintage Photo Distress ink. Simples! So now you can get busy creating lots of your own customised trimmings for cards, tags, canvasses and home decor. Vintage or modern, subtle or bold, it's all up to you!
Then I wanted to get the large background stamp earning it's keep. I decided to make a simple but chic notelet set with a romantic Parisian feel. I cut out a heart shaped template and then used it as a stencil to stamp through. I teamed them up with some simple (and cheap) manilla envelopes and a hand stamped tie. Shiny seam binding this time using the City name stamp and Russet Stazon ink which takes better.
Hey Presto! That back ground stamp is now the feature! The slightly pearlescent cards are stamped in several different shades of Archival ink and then lightly distressed around the edges. I feel nothing else is needed. Less is more. Stars would be great for Christmas or a Monogram for a personal gift. Choose your template and design away I say! Quite fancy doing some sassy ones...
My final piece uses the large butterfly stamp (and background stamp). The thought here is 'Dimension Potential'. Many stamp sets in many a style, be it flowers, birds or letters, etc., can be totally transformed when you use them in a dimensional way. It does require a bit of snipping but it's well worth it. Here I've stamped the butterflies onto Grungepaper, added extra colour with Distress inks and sealed them with Matt Medium for extra strength.
The back ground squares are created with the large script stamp using a resist technique. I stamped with Ranger Snowcap Pigment ink and then applied Rusty Hinge Distress Ink which gives a fabulous result (thinketh me!) Old book pages, typed words, vintage lace and painted cardboard...oldies but goodies! You can make this is as shabby or as clean as you want to. It all depends on your stamps, colours and mood!
 
Challenge, Nice Stuff and Info...
Well, I think I gave my stamps a good workout. What do you think? More importantly, what do you want to create?  
???HOW CAN YOU WORK IT???
Remember My Mojo Monthly is all about the why AND the what! I'm looking forward to seeing and reading about your art and inspiration...
I'll be checking in regularly to take a look at your work. Huge congratulations to August's winner Hettie for her funky iron. Well done Hettie! This months Giveaway is great set of Crafty Individual stamps, some vintage lace and a genuine 1940's fashion advert and guess what...???
NEXT MONTH I'LL BE TALKING TO TAMMY TUTTEROW!!!

A few guidelines on submitting your work:
- In the spirit of MMM please write a few lines in your post about your creativity and why you want to share your work.
- You are very welcome to share challenge pieces, just tell me a bit about your inspiration.
- Please link directly to your post and not your blog so I can find you.
- Please add a link in your post to My Mojo Monthly, thanks!
- Multiple challenge photos without description will be removed.
- Feel free to take the MMM button for your blog - please do! 

Ladies, Gents, ink-pads...I think I'm done. Thanks SO much for being here. I'd really love to hear your thoughts, so... it's over to you!
Stay inspired...

Sarah.

22 comments:

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Hi Sarah, enjoyed your interview with Jo. Fabulous creative pieces as always Sarah, love how each piece is so different using the same stamp set, showing just how versatile stamps are and why I love them so much. Thanks for the inspiration. Tracy x

Cath Wilson said...

Wow! Some fab work there - love that creative masking - one of my fave techniques but that set of cards is special. Love what you've done - such imagination. Lovely to learn a bit more about Jo, too - really intriguing and I remember that wedding stationery well :-) Thanks for the fab ideas x

Elizabeth said...

Another great interview, Sarah. Love Jo's work - those little houses are adorable. Yet again, you've given us plenty of food for thought and inspiration, of course. I'm now going off to see if I can look at and use my favourite stamps in a different way. Congratulations to Hettie - I thought her iron was brilliant :) Elizabeth x

Peggy Parker said...

Beautiful things, beautiful ideas!

Unknown said...

A wonderful interview, and with someone I've not come across, fabulous to discover new artists.
Love the masking technique and have some ideas brewing now about what I can do with my stamps.

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Wonderful inspiration again this month, Sarah! Enjoyed the interview and your "Work It" theme is something I was chatting with someone about just the other day - guilty as charged with stamps that have only been used once or twice. I'll definitely be "working it" this month with you and your players!

Hugs,
Linda

Gini said...

Brilliant post Sarah, love the interview with Jo and your projects are fantastic and inspiring, what a great challenge! Thank you so much:-)
Gini
xx

Crafty Loops said...

Wow what beautiful projects, theyre all so lovely. Lee xx

donnalouiserodgers said...

I've handled a JoFy critter - they are soo cuddlable, more so for their imperfections,

over the weekend I'm going to work it, and then linky on up...

Dx

Kim Dellow said...

Fabulous MMM post Sarah, lovely to learn more about the amazing Jo and your samples are so wonderful, so touchy feely! Kimx

Siobhan Brignull said...

found you via JoFY, love your mojo theme, Im always needing help, hope I manage to participate this month x

donnalouiserodgers said...

see now I'm proud of myself, I actually did work it, and managed to link before the last five minutes of the challenge...

Anonymous said...

Another fab post & interview Sarah! Great to find out more about Jo. I love your inspiration for us this month, I'm never brave enough to attempt one layer cards, but yours look brilliant! Hope to be able to participate in your challenge this month.
Alison x

Electra said...

Thanks for an inspirational interview, Sarah! And all of your pieces are STUNNING!

Angie said...

Great interview ....LOVE that butterfly trio. xx

Brenda Brown said...

Love this post Sarah, such creativity with the butterflies and colours. You are such an inspiration.
luv and hugs {brenda} xox

penny4thoughts said...

I'd say you gave those stamps quite a work-out! I LOVE your dimensional hanging! Thanks for all your inspiration!

Jean Franks Beck said...

Wonderful! Loved the interview, and I *adore* your pieces... the shabby chic details, the rich fall colors, the gorgeous CAS cards using the background. So very, very inspirational!

Hettie said...

Hi Sasa. I found this hard this month as I like what you have done soo much I just wanted to follow your lead. In fact I did with the card for a poorly friend! Here is my attempt this month at doing something different with my stamps and hope you approve!!

Nancy Wethington said...

Sarah, playing along this month!

kissinia said...

Hi Sarah! I thought it would be a good idea to create a kind of art book. I was inspired with your words - WORK IT this month. So... I have finally got all pages together :) Thanks so mush! love what you are doing :) kissinia

Kezzy said...

Fantastic september mojo monthly, several times this month I have come back to read it again as it really inspired me. Kezzy x