Monday, July 4, 2011

Behind closed doors...a flourish awaits...

My, oh, my Monday again!
Firstly, let me wish all those celebrating July the 4th a truly fabulous day! Meanwhile back here I'm all of a flourish with the new theme at Simon Says Stamp & Show. I adore ATCs and have wanted to make a chunky one for some time. I love the hidden potential in an ordinary piece of wood and felt inspired to create... After some wrestling with a long wooden beam and huge saw, I had my basic block. Hubby was out, but I survived with my best Beyonce impression "All the single ladies..." (Did anyone see that gal rock Glastonbury? WOW!)

I coloured my block with Wild Honey Distress Stain and then stamped three sides of the block with the Urban Chic flourish in Coffee Archival ink. I then continued the DIY streak by drilling four holes in the base for the big brass screws, adding a bolt which I think make great feet. I then set about creating the door and frame which are cut from scrap cardboard. I had no solid plans, just an image in my head which I hoped would come out. It was great to play all day and just let things evolve.

 I embossed the frame with Distress powder and inked up the door panel with lots of Distress inks. The block front is painted with crackle glaze followed by Vintage Lace paint from Paper Artsy. Once dry, I stamped the sentiment doing a test run on paper first for a size guide.The inside door is decorated with a distressed book page and a stitched and Papillon stamped panel, the frame with a small Grungy flourish and two metal flowers. Here you can also see the bolted legs better.
 Layers of Glassine paper, a flourish stamped book page and the butterfly is of course Papillon, resting on two skeleton leaves. The door is hung on two (fiddiliy-diddily!) mini-brass hinges. On top rests an uber shabby crinoline flower coloured with Color Wash and Glimmer mists. I also coloured some ball chain with Alcohol Inks to drape over the top and sides for a touch of luxury.





A view of her derrière with a little stamped detail...just a small touch makes a big difference.
 


A rusty old clock finding which I've been saving for a while is the perfect handle and you can also see a stamped Mica scrap under some copper thread.
 A close-up of that lovely crackled paint, textured frame and simple flowers... So there she is, and the little lady is just 9cms tall (without her heels on...)
I savoured every minute, just reaching for different tones, materials and products, seeing them all work together...
I'm all flourished out now, time for you to create yours. What image in your mind is waiting to come to life? Do tell! Take a look at the Design Teams fantastic takes on the theme for lots more great inspiration. The coveted Top Three place and shopping spree await...
Thanks again for coming by, I'd love to hear from you (because we all like a little Blog love...) Now close your eyes, and imagine your flourish...

Until the next time,

Sarah.

24 comments:

laurel said...

Beautiful piece! I love all the cool details you put into it. Thanks for sharing

PsyPenguin said...

Wow! Fantastic piece - really unusual and creative. I love the screws for feet!

Juls said...

ooooh wow!!! what an utterly gorgeous project! Hugs Juls

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Wow what a stunning piece. I love the chunky ATC. Decorated to perfection. Tracy x

Candy C said...

Hello Sarah. Your chunky ATC is just stunning! I love it. Your attention to detail is always so spot on! Just beautiful! <3 Candy

Dorothy said...

Great job!!

Lori said...

This is BRILLIANT Sarah! Why didn't I think of that door idea?? lol! Gorgeous piece of flourishy goodness! Love it!

Kathy Eddy said...

Wow, this is just amazing! I love your idea to make a door that opens up and reveals even more wonderful art!

Effie said...

That's fab...

craftytrog said...

I have enjoyed reading your post Sarah, thanks for the wonderful detailed description of your fabulous chunky ATC! I love everything about it, it's so inspiring!
Can't believe your A/C art is still unfinished, shame on you! Just googled Ingrid, as I've never heard of her! Lol! Hope your bet pays off, she is fab!
Alison x

2amscrapper said...

gorgeous!

Susanne said...

wow, that is just lovely - great sentiment too

Marjie Kemper said...

Sarah, this is amazing! So many stunning details and personal touches. Love it. And congrats on starting your own Mojo Monthly - I read it last night and was inspired to start playing right away. Will be finishing up tomorrow I hope, and posting soon. Have a great day!

Melody (lacyquilter) said...

Awesome piece. How fun to add a door.

ScrappingDeb said...

I love it - esp the door. Thanks for the inspiration!

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Great creation, Sarah! What a perfect sentiment, and I love the butterflies!!

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Lesley Edmonds said...

Ooooo well how adorable is this!!!!!

Max said...

Fantastic, I love the door and all the little details, wonderful idea with the bolt legs.

Lucy Edmondson said...

Wonderful engineering, and a stunning project!

Lucy x

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Wow, that'a a breathtaking piece.

Anonymous said...

This is too creative for words!! I LOVE everything about it! Consider me inspired :)

penny4thoughts said...

I too have seen chunky ATC's but never with a door! Such a fantastic piece and all your details are divine :-)

StampDancer said...

This is fabulous!

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful!!! So very unexpected!!!!