Sunday, September 4, 2011

Inspired Musings...and Free Vintage Cabin Card!

As the weekend draws to a close I thought I'd refuel my inspiration to carry me into a new week. In October I'm doing The Artsy Crafty workshop with the amazing and totally unique Lynne Perella. I'm both nervous and excited so I'm getting into mood with a Lynne inspired collage.
 I created the background by layering up lots of scraps varying the patterns, colours and texture followed by a watery wash of gesso. I then added the three vintage images so they would stand out more and played around with distress stains and more gesso.

Here you can see a painted doily scrap and that lovely face that comes from my own collection of vintage postcards and cabin cards.

I'm not quite sure why we all hunker after the golden days as life wasn't that easy back then. Yet somehow we seem to fall in love with the images time and time again.


Then I carried on building up the layers by adding some tulle, some stencilling and stamping.  There isn't so much a story... I wanted to create more of mood, a feeling...choose whichever one comes to mind.

I just love that blast of red! I think it adds a great splash of colour and contrat against the muted background. I finished of with more gesso and stains by wiping them over the canvas with my fingers and also adding strokes of white with an old credit card. I only allowed the words 'A Fragment' to really show through, which seems a very fitting phrase.


Even though I'll need a lifetime to ever aspire to the level of Lynne Perella, I'm still really pleased with how it all turned out. It's something I really wanted to try and I'm a firm believer in following your creative 'gut feeling!'

Talking of inspiration the new September My Mojo Monthly is up! It's an inspiration Challenge and Feature I started in July. There's project ideas, a fab vintage prize and a great interview with Jo Firth-Young
Hope to see you and your art there!!!!
I'd like to share another of my lovely ladies with you, so here she is. She has something special, so do be gentle with her! Use her however you like, she's yours. (Original image not for resale...you know that!)


That's me done, time to clear away upstairs and spend some time with Mr. Right (I married him you know...!) Wishing you ALL a great week and thinking of EVERYONE tackling the new school run this week!!!
Be Brave...

Sarah.





           click here to enlarge.

5 comments:

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Lovely piece Sarah, love the layers in the background and the layers of colour. The red is the perfect pop of colour and the images work their magic on your collaged piece. Fabulous . Tracy x

Suze Bain said...

This is so lovely. Love the three images and the colours are beautiful. xx

Crafty Loops said...

What a gorgeous creation, I think the red is stunning too. A beautiful touch. Lee x

Dragon said...

LOVIN this page... I decided not to do that course this time, as the day I wanted was sold out, so doing stuff at the shop... METAL YEH!!!! etc... anyhoo, I need to send your your swap partner but your email won't co-operate!! please email me at frankie@gaywood.net
Frankie
xx

Gabrielle said...

Oh this is just fabulous! Have poured over the photos and just keep seeing more! Fabulous x