Monday, April 9, 2012

Simon and Tim Fabric Play Day...!

Hello on Holiday Monday!
Well, I might still be lying in bed when this post goes live -  or possibly in full furtive flow at a Car Boot Sale. As a new week hits town, then so does a new challenge theme at Simon Says Stamp & Show where we say Show a Tim Technique! Whatever your passion, inky style or obsession may be a bit of tecchy know-how from Mr. Holtz can enhance any creation. Check out Tim's blog for oodles of inspiration...
l decided to break out my Color Wash sprays and swap card for fabric with my mixed media cards... I sprayed a mix of Lettuce, Sunset Orange, Red Pepper and Stream onto ordinary cotton fabric. Then I spritzed the fabric with a generous dose of water to get them to blend and move.
It looked quite murky at first but when I soaked up the extra wetness by laying kitchen paper over the top, the colours soon lightened up and I also got a fabulous effect on the kitchen paper too! Two for the price of one. I dried it well with my heat gun and then cut two sections for each card.
I really love the woven texture in the fabric! l started by adding a bit more texture and contrast by stamping with Snow Cap Dabber paint and Tim's Mixed Media dotty stamp. Just random stamping, no thinking - just doing and using sections of the stamp rather than the whole stamp.

l built up the layers of stamping, playing with a mix of Distress Inks and Archival Inks so I could vary the intensity of colour and image. Archival will produce a stronger effect and Distress a more faded, subtle result. I used various stamps from the Urban Chic and Mini Ornates sets which work well together.
On this card I have used the other stamps from the Mixed Media set. l also used some small lids to create the inky circles which is a fun and easy way to add more detail. I wasn't planning on the butterfly but as this sentiment is smaller than the other I needed to balance out the card.
The sentiments are from Good Thoughts and Stuff to Say - both stamped in Black Archival ink to really bring them to the forefront of the cards. I layered the fabric pieces onto distressed card and inked the edges with Rusty Hinge and stitched around the edges mixing up straight stitch with zig-zag.
Lastly I mounted them onto Kraft card stock and added a little ink and distressing to the edges too. I did ponder a bit of extra embellishment but I decided the inks and stamping were able to stand on their own and I didn't want to hide anything.
Maybe one day I'll progress onto a t-shirt, although hubby said I should sew the panels onto jeans!!! Helpfully these will inspire you to try a bit of inky, fabric fun...

Do hop over to the Simon Says Stamp & Show Design Team Blog, savour the other great Tim techniques on show and join in! We're looking out for our top three artists and there's the chance of this luuurvely $50 voucher to spend at their great store too! Have a great week in all you do and thanks for calling by! Be seeing you soon,
Sarah.

13 comments:

Sarah said...

These cards are gorgeous! I love the bright colors and random stamping!

Redanne said...

Hi Sarah, the colours look amazing on fabric. Your choice of colour on these pieces is perfect, so vibrant, love the stamping too.

Lisa and Elaine at Destination Art said...

Hi Sarah!
These cards look so wonderful, love the colours, the stamps, the composition...EVERYTHING!!
Hugs across the miles
Lisa and Elaine at Destination Art

Anjas-Artefaktotum said...

Amazing colorful pieces, love the texture, great work!
Happy Easter,
Anja

Marjie Kemper said...

If a card can be scrumptious, Sarah, these two are! Love love LOVE your colors and stamping. Gorgeous!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Cool little works of art here! I love the brightness and the stitching is a plus!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Lovely pieces Sarah, love your use of fabric and the vibrant backgrounds are gorgeous. The stamping works perfectly against your backgrounds. Cannot wait to see the jeans! Tracy x

Barb King said...

These are just great, the fabric gives a totally different effect. I love them! Barb

Tracey said...

AMAZING work Sarah!!!!

Jo said...

I love inking and painting on fabric and these are just devine. The colours are great really vibrant but the stamping and pops of white just bring it all together. Lovely. jo xx

Sarah Anderson said...

love those colour combos

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Wow!! Gorgeous pieces, Sarah! The blending is absolutely phenomenal!

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Kezzy said...

Wow these are stunning, I have the colour washes and learned today that they can be used on fabric (TH class). They would look fab on jeans do you think you will have a go or make a T Shirt? They are amazing and the colour really pops. Kezzy xx