Monday, April 30, 2012

A Kaleidascope of colour!!!

Well hello there. Be it sunny, foggy, wet or windy, here's to a colourful new week and challenge theme from Simon Says Stamp & Show where we say show us COLOUR!!! I always say there plenty of sunshine to be found in an ink or paint bottle...whatever the weather. Good job too as we might need to start work on the ark soon over here. This week I have something a little different. A funky, chunky, flowery canvas...
   ...and that was all thanks to some fabulous Faber Castell goodies I received from the generous team at Simon Says Stamp! Merci! I started by creating my flowers which are just lots of circles. They are my variation on the lovely blooms I saw many moons ago on Kim Dellow's yummy blog and I've loved them ever since. I used red and orange Gelatos to create the colours...
Gelatos are rather like arty lipsticks and blend really well, with or without water. I've already had fun attacking my art journal with them!
The yellowy circles are cut from Manila card and the red from old book pages stuck to card. I drew the leaves onto more book scraps using my Big Brush pen, cut them out and added some detailing with a white pen. Then onto the background... with a slight Art Journalling feel...
I used various Studio paints from Claudine Helmuth, gesso, more colours using Faber Castell Aquarelle pencils which blend with water and a touch of stencilling. I added bit of contrast with random machine stitching and decided to sew the stems by hand for more texture. Just three simple stamped words and buttons to finish off. I glued it all to a chunky canvas and voilĂ ! Colour, flowers and fun all in one go!

So this week we want to see full on colour from you! What better way to brighten up a dreary day. So go on... get the sunglasses out and bedazzle us with your pallet! We're looking forward to the whole rainbow and looking for those special top three artists. Don't forget the chance of this great $50 voucher too.

I've got another 'Oh my Giddy Aunt!' list to conquer...so I'm off. Thanks so much for dropping by - be seeing you soon!
Sarah.

16 comments:

SusanLotus said...

Your canvas is so lovely!
Have a great day!

Scrumplescrunch said...

Hello Sarah
I hope the rain stops soon....
Your Canvas is 'All Bright and Beautiful'. Hot Orange and Red stimulates the senses, it is always friendly and inviting to look at, and I am loving your muted Bg as a contrast, it is a wonderful piece of Art Sarah.
Smiles:)
Sue

Inkypinkycraft said...

This is fab and very cheery after all the rainy grey we have had! Hugs trace x

jill said...

So bright & cheerful just what we need to cheer us all up . Happy crafting

My name is Cindy said...

Brilliant canvas, I love those flowers they look so simple but I bet I can't do it!! Sunny here for now but I don't think it will last unlike your glorious canvas!

Redanne said...

Hi Sarah, you have certainly brightened up my day, this piece is stunning, I love the vibrant colours, the added stitching and the gorgeous flowers. Saw a sign in the paper this morning saying 'the Ark is still open' - it was a pub - so your comment made me lol. Thank you! Anne x

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Love your circular flowers Sarah, and the vibrant colours are a vision for the eyes, love them. The background is gorgeous, love the stencilling and random stitching. Your hand stitching adds wonderful texture. Enjoy your week. Tracy x

Candy C said...

Sarah...your piece for this week is so sweet. I love the background colors you achieved on your canvas. Really wonderful patterns and colors. Your flowers really stand out. Love the button centers, the stems and the cute leaves with the doodling, too. Beautifully done...as always. I was checking out your art journal pages, too. Oh my goodness...fabulous. <3 Candy

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Gorgeous cancas in such bright colors Sarah!

greetings, Alie :-)

Crafty Loops said...

This is so beautiful Sarah. Lee x

Janny Jager said...

Very bright colors Sarah
love it very much

Greetings Janny

Paper Squirrel said...

Looking at this makes me cheery on an otherwise yucky day. :-) Thanks for sharing your talent.

Marjie Kemper said...

I might take up gardening if my flowers looked like these.... love this piece!

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Lovely creation, Sarah! I just love the added texture to this piece by using text paper and the colors are fantastic!

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Marlena M. said...

I just adore these flowers. Beautiful!

Gabby said...

Fab card! Like the bkgrd and oh, those awesome flowers! :)