Monday, January 28, 2013

Starry, starry night...

Blink and you'll miss it! What? The weekend that is! Where did it go to and when are they bringing in the five day weekend??? Monday graces us with it's presence yet again, a new week arises and best of all it's time for another challenge over at Simon Says Stamp & Show. This week we are all celestial, galaxian (?) or even a bit show-bizzy with our 'Stars" theme. I don't own many starry stamps but thankfully the one I do have is one my faves and also by Wendy V so I was ready to ink...
only to be met by a shambles of a mess from the last seven post  baby months. Mountains of dirty stamps, heaps of paper, unfinished journal pages and non-shelved new stash, all carpeted in dust, are running riot. Sigh.
Sink or swim then. But when I started sifting through the debris I could see a glimmer of hope as certain stamps, scraps and colours seemed to be looking pretty good together. I also wanted to have a dabble with my Phlax Alpha stamps. I luuurve letter stamps in all shapes and forms!

I up-cycled an old art journal page by punching different sized circles and then I edged them with Distress ink.

I really like how your eye then gets drawn to see the finer detail and tones! I went for a kind of modern but inky style...
by combining the Pickled Raspberry ink stars with dictionary and stitched letters. It was until I was working on the composition I thought, hey, these look a bit like planets or moons - just perfect to go with the stars!

It's always funny to read the words on dictionary pages and purely by coincidence the first card I made has the words kingdom of heaven at the top! This one however, reads kidnap and kidney!!! Oh well...
l stamped the letters onto Kraft card, trimmed them all slightly differently to achieve a more random effect and just added a few lines of machine stitching. I decided on a set of four and played around a little with the design of each one for variation.
They came together very quickly and I really love them all. I normally take AGES to create anything, so it was really great to enjoy a quicker creative process without thinking I had rushed things!!!
So before you decontaminate your crafty space, take a look at the potential may be hiding amongst all those scraps and unfinished pages.
Stars can take you in many artful directions! Just take a look at the fabulous takes on this theme from the rest of the amazing Design Team for more inspiration... Do join in and make a play for the Top Three Artist and this generous $50 voucher from Simon Says Stamp!
That's it from me today, see you all soon and happy inking!
Sarah.

15 comments:

Gio said...

OMG! One of your best card ever, don't know why! Just perfect!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Fabulous pop of colour here. Lovely crisp designs. I love the circles cut from your journal pages and the stars are perfect. A wonderful trio of art. Tracy x

Candy C said...

Sarah...your cards are fabulous! I really like the stark white background and then the bursts of color from an upcycled journal page! That is such a great idea and a great look! Love the strip of torn text behind them as well. The bright raspberry stars and letters are THE perfect color to complete this very "artsy" look. You are a master at taking simple little shapes and turning them into masterpieces! <3 Candy

Anna-Karin said...

Super fun cards Sarah! I love that star stamp too and the happy colours are just perfect here.

NathOuest said...

wonderful with that tonic colors !

froebelsternchen said...

such a gorgeous design!
xxx
FROEBELSTERNCHEN FROM AUSTRIA

ART-JOURNAL-JOURNEY
MOO-MANIA-CHALLENGE

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

What an awesome card...an totally love the way you've used Wendy's Star stamp! So so so fun!

Marjie Kemper said...

Sooo bright and vibrant! Miss Ruby's working her pink magic on your mojo!

Helen said...

fabulous! that raspberry pink is such a lovely bright wow colour (especially for Tim, lol! )

Anonymous said...

How gorgeous is this!?!?! Love the bright colors!

Carole said...

Sarah, your card is awesome! I love the layout and wonderful colors.

Sandra said...

Ohh Sarah, I just love your cards! The stars in hot pink are stunning! Beautiful! Hugs, Sandra

Suzanne C said...

Love the pink stars offset with the layered fun in the circles! Beautiful set of cards!

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Gorgeous card, Sarah! I love the colors and the collage look :)

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Tracey said...

LOVE LOVE the colors and collage effects Sarah!