Monday, January 7, 2013

A look back in time...

As we paddle in the shallow waters of 2013, you do of course glance over the years already gone. That is just what I have done - inky style - because this week at Simon Says Stamp & Show we are 'Embracing the Old' with our new challenge theme.
Back in the year dot (so it seems) I took my first steps into this mad, but wonderful crafty and bloggy world. As a right old  technical dunce, I remember secretly teaching myself how to build a blog through some long Googling nights. I was so nervous and was trembling the day I first hit publish!
After following a basic stamping workshop I plucked up the courage to attempt more than a Christmas card and created my first triple tag which you can see here... So I thought it would be fun to go back to that time for this challenge theme.
I love the series of Mini's from PaperArtsy. They are wonderful images and such high quality stamps. If you haven't tried Leandra's fabulous stamps, dies and amazing paints, then do! NOW! My background is created using Walnut Stain and Weathered Wood Distress Inks with lots of splatters, followed by lots stamping in both Distress and Archival inks.

I have a kind of nostalgic family mood going on, with the mother, father and son. The tag edges have been distressed and stitched and joined together with thin wire. You can then bend the tag into different shapes for standing. I often like to give a triple tag instead of a card to friends. It's just that bit different and it looks good too.
I really did embrace the old and used all my typical trademarks and crafty touches to create an aged look like this rusty old key and jute scrap. I just have to add words to my pieces and Tim's ChitChat sticker book has more than enough words to allow you to create your own little story.
So before you rush into the New Year, take a little time to wander down Memory Lane. There are lots more fabulous creations from my teamies over at the Design Team Blog here!

Do join in with your take on the "Embracing the Old" theme. It's fun and you could also be in with a chance of this generous $50 shopping spree - just what you need after the festive season! Stay inspired... and thanks for calling by!
Bye for now, Sarah.

26 comments:

Helen said...

Stunning!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous, and I love the idea of using a triple tag as a card.

Daniele said...

wow so loving this
best wishes

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

When this is from your early stampingdays...it's double amazing...great vintage!!

greetings, Alie :-)

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Beautiful nostalgic piece Sarah, love the accordion tag card and your chosen images are gorgeous and add the perfect vintage touch along with your embellishments including the fabulous key wrapped in lace. Gorgeous. Love the colour palette too. Hope you are all well. Tracy x x

Anna-Karin said...

Beautiful piece Sarah! Fabulous stamping.

Candy C said...

Sarah...I totally love your piece. The background colors are beautifully blended together. Then, I LOVE LOVE all of the layers of stamping you've done. The blacks and browns together look amazing. The images you've used are so sweet and coordinate perfectly with the sentiments you've used on each panel. Love it! <3 Candy

Words and Pictures said...

Wonderful, wonderful tag triptych! The colours and images work so beautifully together, and I love the stitching and gorgeous rustic embellishing!
Alison x

PetraB said...

This is lovely, wonderful vinatge feel ... and I love the PaperArtsy minis too ....

Sophie said...

Wow, was für ein tolles Werk.
Wunderschön coloriert.
Chapeau!

Ich wünsche dir ein gutes, gesundes neues Jahr
XX

Redanne said...

A gorgeous, nostalgic piece Sarah, love the idea of the three tags together, the images are perfect and I love the little story that the tags tell. The colours are beautiful and the addition of the key with the jute is perfect. Love it. Hugs, Anne x

Janny Jager said...

Very very beautiful Sarah.
A great nostalgic piece of art.
Love it.
Greetings Janny

Sandra said...

Those tags are stunning! I really like the stamps and the background is totally gorgeous! Beautiful embellished as well! Hugs, Sandra

NathOuest said...

like like !!!

Kate Yetter said...

Sarah, it is stunning! I am in love with your layering of stamps. Something I want to try but am afraid it will never turn out as fabulous as yours. the images you used are perfect! Hope you and that little Ruby are well rested and doing well!

Anonymous said...

These are beautiful! So much wonderful detail :)

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Your emotions upon starting a blo were the same as mine. Crazy how it changes so fast! Love the triple take! Gorgeous vintage feel and stunning images!

Juls said...

stunning!! Love all the stitching detail!! Hugs Juls

Gillian .... said...

Great nostalgic tag triptych Sarah, the colours blend beautifully together. x

Suzanne C said...

Fabulous Accordian tags! Love the mix of images and the distressed backgrounds. Lovely details!

Debbie Rock said...

This is SOooo much to my taste Sarah, as is just about everything that you do ... this is simply perfect! D x

AuxDoigtsAgiles said...

Wouah!!! Very beautiful Tags!!

xx

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Sweet tag trio, Sarah! I love the touches of stitching :)

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Terry said...

Hey there Sarah, your project for this weeks challenge is fabulous love the 3 tags combined into one, wowzersss thankss for sharing sweetie, hugs terry xxxx

Craftychris said...

Gorgeous! I love the three tags together, a wonderful idea xx

Laurart said...

Really beautiful x