Monday, July 23, 2012

One for the Girls...

All the single ladies.. all the married ladies... all the happy ladies... all the moody ladies...! 'Tis another Monday morning and I'm here with my new piece for Simon Says Stamp & Show where it's a HEY GIRL thing! Girl power, femme fatale or delectable damsel... Take your pick!
For some obscure reason I felt a compendium of bright inks and circles in the offing... a shape I don't really use that much. I like doing 'threes' of things but I didn't want to do tags or an ordinary card and when I remembered my Bubbly Circle background stamp from Wendy, it all came together!
I also wanted to give my Ranger Specialty Stamping Paper a test run to see how it took to a good dose of embossing and inkiness! I started out with a whole sheet of the paper and clear embossed the circle background over the whole surface.
Then I randomly sprayed patches of Vibrant Turquoise, Bubblegum Pink and a little Fresh Lime Dylusions inks on top. I dried the surface and then went in again with the same colours but this time I sprayed through punchinella. I got a really nice kind of water mark effect! I wanted to bring out the clear embossing so I lightly buffed the surface which also blended the colours slightly too. I cut three large circles and stuck them to corrugated cardboard.
I added a few splatters of Black Marble ink and also stamped the fabulous Wrought Iron Border in Jet Black Archival Ink. I heat set it all well to prevent smudges as the ink does stay a little wet due to the paper's special coating. It's a great paper and can take a lot of action! I stuck old dictionary pages to card, stamped three of Wendy's Art Rules girls and cut them out, adding a touch of colour to their features.
I wanted to give the girls a bit more oomph in the head-wear dept. so I stamped the larger flower from the same set onto card, added an upholstery stud to the centre and layered them onto the faces.
Same idea with the starry eye - except I embossed it with black powder for a glossy look!
I stuck the ladies to the circles, adding a few words cut from other sentiments and added washers coloured with Alcohol Inks in the same tones. The circles also have a washer base to help them stand and are joined together with a small cardboard hinge. Voila! An alternative greeting card!
I hope you like the bright colours and dramatic black... I'm loving the combo! One for the girls is a really great theme - there's so many ways you could go with this one so I'm really looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with! Who will make he top three this week or win this great $50 shopping voucher???
Thanks calling by and taking a look - stay inspired!
See you soon,
Sarah.

27 comments:

Candy C said...

Sarah...love your girly piece. It's bright, fun and so unique. I love hte little circles and the Wendy stamp you've used on all of them. Beautiful backgrounds, beautiful design! <3 Candy

SusanLotus said...

WOW! I love this! <3
Very beautifully done!

Helen said...

Simply fabulous!! Love the background on your circles.

Kaz Hall said...

Ooo the colours are gorgeous!! love those purple/pinks and blue hues, as always looking mighty damn fine xx

spk soon

kaz x

Annie said...

Love this Sarah. Such a clever idea and I really love the design and colours you've chosen.
Hugs,
A x

Marijke said...

great circles, beautiful colors and stamp

Redanne said...

The colours look amazing especially with the black wrought iron stamped over and the black head gear. Love the faces too, great idea to use dictionary paper, gives the faces some character. Loving the circles too! A x

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

I love your alternative greeting card, in fact I love circles. Your circle embossed background is very striking as are the splatters, that touch of black works wonders. Love how you have stamped the images onto text and I love their head wear and the star added to the eye . Wonderful colours, beautifully vibrant and I love the added washer at the bottom. Take care Sarah. Tracy x x

Peggy Parker said...

OOH Ooh - you have awaken my muse! I save old CDs (non-music) for uses just like this...and I can see some old papers I have working nicely against a beautiful background such as yours.....Thanks, Sarah!

Lori said...

FABULOUS use of Ms. Wendy's stamps! Love this Sarah! Hope you and the little one are doing well!

Anna-Karin said...

Gorgeous piece! Love the great background and the bright happy colours.

Janny Jager said...

Wowwwwwww this is nice
Great background and stamps,

Greetings Janny

Hettie said...

Great piece there Lovely Lady. One for the girls ey!

Princess Judy Palmer said...

I'm not a big fan of circles (maybe because that's all I get to do at work-run around in them) but I like this. The bright bold colors and the funky ladies with their funky headdresses. Fun stuff!

Suzanne C said...

The circles within the circles is so perfect and funky! Love the images. Wonderful girly piece! Love the bright bold colors!

Anonymous said...

Love the circle concept. Well put together!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! The background on all of these is fantastical!!!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome colors and contrast!!!

Craftychris said...

Fabulous! Love the circles and the colours are very cool!

Sandra said...

Oh my, what a beautiful card! Love the colors and those wonderful ladies are amazing! So cool that you used circles as your base. Stunning!

SandeeNC said...

Your Hey Girl creation is beautiful, but no picture of Ruby? :( Hope you are doing well! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

Sara Jansen said...

What a amazing little being Ruby must be!! Congratulations. Long story short, I've been without internet available where I'm staying and without a craft room for a very long time (okay 6 weeks but that seems like forever) ANYWAY when i got the opportunity to peak around, I wondered if you had had your baby. And as I read, I saw that fabulous picture. What a charmer. Silly me, I am smiling from ear to ear...enjoy...and those moments that aren't so enjoyable, well, just remember anyone can last through the next five minutes, and then pretty soon, it's done....so very cute! Congratulations again.

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Gorgeous piece, Sarah! I really love the layering of colors and texture and the colors are beyond beautiful!

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Words and Pictures said...

Spectacular circular triptych - the words are great inspiration for any girl setting off in to life (like Ruby!)... Love how the flowers and stars move around as your ey moves across the piece...
Alison x

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I love the colors in your accordion booklet. Blessings!

Marlena M. said...

Vibrant and colorful! Very unique and creative.

Marjie Kemper said...

Fab combo of circles, colors, etc... glad you were able to play!