Monday, July 30, 2012

A Sentimental Journey...

Monday morning Greetings to al! I'm on Blog Street again to share two new creations for Simon Says Stamp & Show! Mondays mean a new challenge theme and this week it's all about "Your sentiments".
Well, who doesn't have a few of those in the old stash then??? Good old words and sentiments. "Easy to stamp, harder to abide by..." I always say, but we all seem to love them!
Now this is a scheduled post from end May, so by the time you read it, it'll be a bit of a time-warped one. These cards were/are (?) the last project of my huge pre-baby DT boot camp marathon. Lots of relief, fatigue and pride knowing 'all is done!' Mojo has now gone a go-go...

So admittedly, I didn't want to dive into anything too complex or demanding. But with Sarah being Sarah, I still wanted to create something I was happy with.
Flicking through luscious thick pages of Design Paper is all very well, but like a car stuck in a garage - it sure ain't going anywhere!!!
Inspired by the wonderful vintage colours and  images from Tim's Destination Paper Stash, I decided on two cards that incorporated a feeling of nostalgic travel. I started by picking a few of my favourite snaps from the collection. 
l also used the papers for my card bases as I thought that would be a nice colourful and unexpected surprise on opening the card. I added an aged and stamped tag to the inside so that you can write a personal message...
The first card is about the sun, sea and cruises and the second auto-mobiles, road trips and visiting family....
I choose two photos and a handful of snippings for each card, distressing and inking them to create an aged look. Can't survive without Vintage Photo and Walnut Stain Distress inks! I also stamped the card fronts with the City and street stamp from the Papillon set.
I played around with the composition and layers for a while to see what looked best and then stuck it all down. I added a wrap of parcel string and a couple of buttons to add a bit more texture and depth.
Here's another inside shot - the tag is stamped with the ticket stamp from Tim's 'On the Railroad' set and splattered with ink.
I added a small tag to the string and stamped my Attic Treasures sentiments in Ranger Sepia Archival ink. Very small and dinky stamps, just perfect for these little tags.
I set out to do something simple, yet ended up having as much fun as always - and I love both my cards... I think vintage photos and sentiments go hand in hand! So which words will your inky fingers be reaching for? Pop over to the Design Team Blog for more inspiration! Do join in and maybe you could be the Happy Shopper with this generous $50 prize voucher from Simon Says Stamp or one of our top three chosen artists...!
Thanks for calling in today. Sarah signing off - and until whenever....!

20 comments:

Inkypinkycraft said...

Love the vintage feel of these , trace. X

Marijke said...

beautiful cards, very vintage

Helen said...

Fabulous vintage work, love the look of it.

Words and Pictures said...

Gorgeous vintage collage cards - fabulous dynamic positionings!
Alison x

Sandra said...

your cards look amazing! Love the old photo's. The theme word is vintage! These cards make me wanna go to my parents house to look for old pictures! Hugs, Sandra

Crafty Loops said...

These are gorgeous Sarah. Hope all is going well with your wee angel. Lee x

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Gorgeous vintage pieces, love that the inside of the card is decorated too, lovely surprise. Love the Vintwge images and your layouts are stunning. Great sentiments too. Tracy x x

Candy C said...

Sarah...I love your cards! I can't even imagine where you found the energy to get so many projects done pre-Ruby. :) Love your papers you used and the tags tucked here and there on them. Your work is always so inspiring. <3 Candy

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Yummy vintageness here!!! So many layers of goodness! Fab card Sarah!

Anna-Karin said...

Lovely vintage cards! Love all the different images you used and they way you placed them on the cards. TFS!!

Anonymous said...

I love the distressed, weathered appearance to your creation. So very appealing.
Wishes
Lynne

Janny Jager said...

Lovely vintage card Sarah
Love it very much

Greetings Janny

Redanne said...

Love your cards today, great colours and elements with a very vintagey feel. A x

SandeeNC said...

Smart of you to get them done early and schedule the post. I love the vintage photos, just perfect! I hope you are getting some rest and that Ruby is letting you sleep some! Looking forward to seeing how much she has grown! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina

Marjie Kemper said...

Really great... love how you were able to put your own spin on the combo of papers, tags, etc. Love these. Hope all's well with your sweet new one! How is Miss R? Motherhood is tough, girl, so give yourself whatever breathers you can!

Anonymous said...

totally awesome!

Cath Wilson said...

Ooh, just found out about Ruby - Congratulations, Sarah - she's absolutely gorgeous, but I'm sure you know that :-) So glad you've been showered with love and hope all goes well, especially the nights - I'll be thinking of you... am amazed that you've managed to stamp already! Good for you x

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Super cool vintage collection! I love the way you embellished the piece :)

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

This is so cool. Blessings!

Suzanne C said...

This is wonderful! Love each and every page! Charming vintage pages!