Monday, February 6, 2012

Bootiful Budget Birdies...all going cheep!

Brace yourselves folks...I'm doing cute!!!! It's Monday so we're off the starting block with a new challenge theme at Simon Says Stamp & Show! Fancy a tasty recipe but not the washing up? Well, this is one for you...torn edges, Distress inks, buttons and wings.
After a hefty stint of Grungy makes lately, I was in the mood for a little fabric frenzy and 'something completely different'. Theoretically, despite the snowstorms, we are heading for Spring. I couldn't quite stretch to bunnies but I do think fat birdies are rather sweet.
I stamped Wendy's Vecchi's fabulous gingham design onto canvas fabric in Ranger Archival inks.
I used Saffron Yellow and Monarch Orange for two birds and a mix of the two to create an in between tone.
I drew my own birdy template. My first looked like whales and then fish, but I got there. It's all in the tail I say!

I cut out six birds and six wings (the birdy backs were cut from plain canvas). Then I grabbed my kitchen roll...
I sewed the top piece to 8 squares of kitchen paper going around twice and trimmed off the excess.
I placed the back on, sewed around again and roughed up the edges adding colour with Rusty Hinge Distress Ink.

I sewed the two wings together without any wadding and stuck them on with Matt Medium. The button 'bonnets' are made with the two smaller flowers cut with Tattered Florals and are stamped with Alphabetically Art. I used brass studs for eyes and finished everything off with little stamped labels before sewing them all onto a strip of jute ribbon.

Once a year, I'm allowed to be girly...and I still think they are very sweet! So that's my 'crafty' culinary take on things. Check out the great creations from the Design team here! It's time for you to get cooking, serve up something tasty...and maybe enjoy that great $50 prize! Thanks for dropping in! Sarah.

14 comments:

kissinia said...

Wow, Sarah! This project looks amazing! Love the whole idea and the details are adorable too! Hugs, kissinia

bohemiannie! art said...

These just make me flat out happy!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

I love your sweet birds Sarah and I love the stamped background, perfect for the bird images. You did make me smile when you said your first drawing attempts looked like fishes, you should see my drawing , leaves a lot to the imagination LOL. Fabulous Spring colour palette too, perfect for Easter. Love them. Tracy x

Candy C said...

Sarah...your birdies going "Cheep" are so cute. You're right...you did go cute! But, they still have your bit of grunge touch to them! As always, your ideas are unique and fun! <3 Candy

505whimsygirl said...

Hi Sarah,

Your little tweets are so darn cute! Love them!!!!!!

Hugs,
Kay

Crafty Loops said...

Fantastic project Sarah, these wee chirpies are gorgeous. Lee x

Lori said...

Well, sure, it's cute, but in a grungy distressy kinda way. lol. Very nice, Sarah!

Jo said...

These are great,they look like big booby ladies of a certain age who lunch wearing their best hats and gossip over some seed cake! Love 'em. jo xx

Eloise said...

i love your little birdies! so cute.

Marjie Kemper said...

They are awfully cute, and you sure do have an original way to display them.... great idea!

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

The most adorable canvas birds I've ever seen!! I love the cheery colors too... you did 'girly' right! ;)

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Hettie said...

Those are supercutie birds Sarah. They are certainly not fat - maybe they are pregnant too Honey!!

Gillian .... said...

Hi Sarah, your fabric piece project is full of vintage cuteness, love the way the piece hangs too, great work as always. x

Erika said...

Love your birdies, very cute indeed.
Hugs Erika.