Monday, February 20, 2012

ATC à la Chunky Style!

Bonjour! Ça va? Well, it's Monday again so I'm jumping straight in with my latest creation for Simon Says Stamp & Show! Grab your passport, because we're on a whirlwind tour...Paris, London and New York. Take your pick! Don your nostalgic beret as I'm taking you back to the City of Love in 1889.
I took my inspiration from the wonderful Paris Exposition stamp set by Artistic Outpost and decided a chunk of wood would be the perfect base to build on. I used Rusty Hinge Distress Stain to colour my block and then set about adorning each side. I went old school vintage style with lots of torn edges, aged papers and layering...
I covered scrap card with an old French book page, swiped it with Gesso and stamped various words in Archival Inks, stitching and distressed the edges before gluing it to the block. Then I swooshed Manilla cardstock with Stormy Sky and Rusty Hinge Distress Stains, stamped the balloons did some fiddly snip-work, re-stamping and layering the balloon wording.
I love the blast of colour against the vintage tones!
I hammered two rows of brass tacks into the wood and zig-zagged some copper thread around them to create some extra detail and a base for the bigger balloon so it could really 'float'...
I aged a small tag with generous doses of Distress Stains, Distress Ink and lots of manhandling!
The background is randomly stamped and the Parisian mademoiselle is stamped onto a lighter scrap, cut out and layered on top.
I wasn't fussy about any creases or marks that were already on the papers...it all adds to the mood of yesteryear.
On the other larger side I set my gents against an inky stamped background. I created a frame from Grungeboard which has been heavily 'antiquified' with Vintage Photo Distress Stain and Embossing powder. I re-stamped and cut just the men, and set them directly on top of the frame
 I added a few more details and wording to the frame and then moved onto another side and the Eiffel Tower...

I stamped the tower onto card and then gave it a good inking and folding to add age. I layered it up with a scrap of a vintage French map using the wording from another stamp in the set.

And so finally, we reach the summit... I think it's my favourite part.
I love clusters and just piled on the scraps, a piece of a metal ruler and an old brass knob, coloured with Alcohol Ink to finish.
I think it's fabulous theme this week! Hop over to The Design Team Blog and feast your eyes on the loveliness from my wonderful teamies! We love seeing your artwork and really look forward to seeing what you'll come up with! Don't forget the great $50 prize from Simon Says Stamp - just perfect for all those new CHA goodies!
I just want to say a huge thank you to everyone who called by last week with such lovely words about my Tissue Wrap dress! THANK YOU! Now I must be awaying... Sarah.

17 comments:

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Ca va bien, merci. C'est Magnifique. Love it Sarah, great vintage piece and as always fabulous attention to detail. Beautifully layered piece with your unique touches of metal, fabulous darling. Tracy x x

Candy C said...

Sarah, I love your chunky, grungy, often steampunkish ATC. So many wonderful little details to see! Your art always amazes me! <3 Candy

Robyn Phelan Sharp said...

such a cool and beautiful ATC. Thanks for using Paris Exposition to create this beautiful vision.

Marjie Kemper said...

Love all your layers of stamping and torn and aged bits!

Janny Jager said...

Wauwwwwwwww this is very very beautiful.
A nice piece of ART

Greetings Janny

Gabrielle said...

Oh blimey this is fab!!! Love it so much! Have started a chunky ATC for mine wondering if it would be any good now I've seen this! Wonderful inspiration!

Terry said...

Hey there Sarah its absolutely stunning sweetie, wowzerssss tres bien moncherie LOL....le formidable....Hugs Terry xxxx

Marlena M. said...

Such a fun piece of work. Love all the cool details and vintage color.

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Absolutely loving this gorgeous chunky ATC and all the layering involved..the knob is fabby!!

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Oh my gosh! That is so fun. I know just the person that would love this idea and will have to share it!

Deb C said...

I have never seen a chunky ATC before - way cool! I love how it stands up, too.

mandysea said...

That is really inventive!! I love the idea of a 'chunky' ATC! How cool! Love the distressed aging.. it looks purposeful!

505whimsygirl said...

love this! Sarah, you are so talented. every time i visit your blog i'm blown away.

hope you're doing well.

hugs,
kay

Lori said...

This is perfect Sarah! I just love it!

Crafty Loops said...

This project is so amazing. I love it. Lee x

Renee Zarate said...

I love it so much! Especially love the way the top knob is off center, very cleverly done.

Gillian .... said...

I too am loving the bright colours which beautifully offset the vintage tones, love all the rustic elements to this piece, a beautiful way to journey back in time. x