Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Monday Monochrome Moods...

It's approaching midnight and yet again I find myself in the realms of a posting. Even if a day was 100 hours long, I would still be finishing something at one minute to a hundred o'clock...the night and my crafty dabblings seem destined to be together. I wasn't really planning on making something today but I had a image, reached for some ink and there you go. Fell for the charms of minimalism again and joining in at Less is More where the theme is three squares. Chose to explore another avenue in style and mood...
Except for some very inviting red lips, the mood is monochrome. Not pure white...an ever so slight hint of ivory which gives it a bit more subtlety. Just two stamped images from an old favourite of mine from Hampton Arts, layered with a scrap of lace. The card has a fine ribbed texture and I added a black satin ribbon for the sheen. Liking black on black although it is hard to pick up the textures with the camera. Purposely chose to omit a sentiment as I think the imagery is strong enough. I'll save something for on the inside....

Here you can see the ivory tones. Just look at those eyes...I added a smidgen of red to the lips which somehow brings this diva to life.
I just had to make a soul sister and went for another intriguing damsel...This squares are layered on top of some black lace and then I added a narrow piece of satin ribbon. The ribbon actually has a fine herring-bone weave which adds extra detail. The shots are taken on a wooden ledge with one of my favourite dance photography books in the background. Loving the way the two ladies are vying for attention...

Here you can see the images and more of the detail on the ribbon, and another sumptuous pout.












Once again, I thoroughly enjoyed tonight's spontaneous venture. At the risk of trying to sound arty-farty...I just adore everything about paper art and what it does for me. Imagery, tones, composition...savouring, creating, discovering, inspiration, daring and just being. During moments like these - life feels just perfect.
Also joining in with:
Stampin' for the Weekend -Monochrome
Totally Gorjuss - Black and...
Charisma Cards-Black/White/One Colour

Signing off - until whenever,

Sarah.

17 comments:

KatheD said...

these are both stunning - would never have thought to try black on black on my own, but will be looking for opportunities to play - your mix of textures and the little bits of red absolutely make these works of art!

Chrissie said...

These are gorgeous Sarah, although I must say I find reading your post quite difficult with the colour of the type against the deep background... my eyes are not as good as they used to be.
These cards however, are superb!
Both quirky, both dramatic, both compelling!
Super job!
Thanks for another great submission.
See you next time!
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Mandi said...

Fantastic cards Sarah! I love them both
I call myself a paper crafter, that's what I like best!!
Great to see you, hope to again
mandi
"Less is More"

Stamps and Paper said...

Very stylish cards love 'em both.

Anne

Anonymous said...

great take on the less is more challenge.

Kathyk said...

Great work

Kathyk

Vicky Hayes said...

I adore these dramatic cards and I absolutely love how much you're enjoying doing this. You're not alone Sarah!

Suze Bain said...

Gorgeous cards Sarah, the top one has to be my favourite.

Anonymous said...

both very elegant cards love them both

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Oh! LURVE these, love the "artiness" of them

Linby said...

Two great cards-love the arty crafty look.
Linbyx

Jen said...

Ilove these cards, so unique, lovely images and design.
Jenjoy x

Susan said...

Awesome....totally awesome!

karen said...

These are stunningly beautiful cards! I love that you coloured the lips red and the rest is ivory and black! It adds just the right touch of colour!
As you know, I love this stamp and am waiting for mine to arrive! Thanks for sharing with me what it is, so I could track it down!
xoxo Karen

Marlou McAlees said...

outstanding!! I love these cards :)

Aileen said...

Great cards, very dramatic. x

Gem said...

fabulous creation! thanks for joining in our Black, white and 1 other challenge at Charisma! Gemma :)