Monday, March 28, 2011

A Hat ??? Make mine a Crown...

Dearest Blogettes,

Morning all - hope this Monday finds you all happy, healthy and half-awake. I need the week to recover from my weekend...teaching workshops, visiting Hobbycrafts and my new DT piece for Simon Says Stamp & Show...the theme this week's challenge is "A Hat". So here is the full shot if you saw the sneak preview last week!
 I fancied a frolic in 50's fashion and veered straight for this stamp From Mr.T which I just love. She's such a glamour-queen and a bit of a Diva. So with that in mind and a little hat chat, I decided to go for a modern twist on the usual Mother's Day gifts! No flowers, butterflies, glitter or choccies, but a lady in need of some serious attention!

So the words Queen for the Day and a crown seemed very fitting indeed...and what better place to announce such a headline but on the old TV of course. The letters are all stamped and cut by hand and laid onto the TV image which I found in a vintage mag ages go - but just had to keep! Now I know why...

This was all I gave away last week - just love being able to stamp on Metal...
I have gessoed an old book page and then the image has been stamped and embossed with ultra-fine black powder. Love that glistening effect. Then went straight in with some pretty vivid red - but she almost demands it herself. Claudia Hellmuth Studio paints are just fab and they give really good results - watered down too!
I then tore and distressed the edges and layered everything up with some old brown paper, various polka-dot papers and another book page. Stopped half-way to do a few random rounds on the sewing machine! The red paper was a bit dull so I gave it a quick wash with the red paint - and bingo! - just right.Then it was onto my normal button and ribbon hunt for the perfect partners...

I then added some ribbons, ric-rac, buttons and of course two memo pins just for fun! Added a few more stamps here and there for an extra hint of the crown...I then decided I needed the mini metal tag and clip for a little bit of a sparkle and shine

So see - a lot of fun to be had in the hat department. I really hope you like it. More importantly I hope you feel inspired to create your own "Hat" piece and share it with us... So put your thinking cap on (see - free hint there...) and show us what you've got!!!!
You might even end up as A Top Three Winner  or be the lucky person that gets $50 worth of stash.
Be sure to check out the other DT pieces here!

Looking forward to seeing your work,


Sarah.

13 comments:

Cardarian said...

With this lovely creation you are "Queen of the day" Love all the layers - really great "mother's day - hat" project!
Hugs
Cardarian

Juls said...

this is stunning!!! I love all the colours and the layers!!! fabulous!! Hugs Juls

Lesley Edmonds said...

Just love all the layering and details. Stunning piece.

Candy C said...

Hey Sarah...this is FANTASTIC! Love the RED!!! You always do such wonderful work; such attention to detail! This is such fun to see! <3 Candy

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Fabulous creative piece, love the addition of the tv, very clever. The red really pops from the page and is a fabulous colour for this lady. The stitching and the layers of paper add great dimension too, love it. Tracy x

Sandra said...

wow, it's stunning. I must say this is one of my all time fav stamps

Katherine said...

Beeautiful card, love all the layering and stamping :)

Lori said...

This is such a fun piece, Sarah! Love the color palette, and every detail is amazing!

Lynne Forsythe said...

This is SOOOOOO awesome!!! LOVE IT ALL!!!

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

This is awesome as always, Sarah! Love the reds and the dots. Great theme with the Queen for a Day - love the retro TV with the antennas. And of course, love all the other amazing details too!

Hope you are having a great week.

Hugs,
Linda

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Gorgeous work, Sarah! I love this stamp and I really love the red/black/white combo!

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Rhonda said...

This is absolutely fabulous! I loved that TV show as a child! Love your diva queen - cheers!

kissinia said...

Hi There! This is absolutely fantastic piece of art! I enjoyed browsing your blog so much. Thanks for sharing and inspiring ideas. I am your reader now, so not gonna miss anything! Have a great w/end!!!