Monday, November 19, 2012

Merci!

Hello folks! 'Tis Monday Morn, my lovelies. This week we are all in a grateful mood at Simon Says Stamp & Show! Blame it on the fireworks, the cold nights or my baby brain... I was feeling slightly bonkers and set fire to my stash. No, it wasn't a quick craft room clean up attempt (which is sooooo badly needed, any offers???) but a way to create a focal point.
I seem to still be in my male card gear and so I created a bold statement to say a big thank you. I'm also still on a mission to make of use of my beloved design papers and dived into my Destinations Paper Stash this time.
l knew I wanted to use my Grunge blocks and letters and thankfully (ha, ha) I had the right letters to spell 'Thanks'. Phew, because sometimes, just when I  fancy some Grungy spelling I seem to be missing one elusive vowel... The blocks are inked up in Walnut Stain Distress Ink, the letters have been pained in Gesso and edged in more ink for an aged look.
 At first I just tore the opening in the design paper but it looked a bit flat and I really wanted to create a 'burnt out' look so I used a match to singe the edges. You have to be quick and blow it out almost immediately otherwise you'll have a big enough hole to wrote a letter in...!
I added a little stamping, distressing and stitching and then layered it onto some more of the Destinations design paper. I thought the printed text of the adverts was a good contrast.
 l added a twist of gold thread to give the illusion of more height and balance out all the letters, added a great inky Tim Word Band and then attached it to my distressed card base with four brads. Hey Presto. All done with the thanks! But you could of course use any word or colours to create your take on this card... Whatever you say, say it big!

Well, that's my story for today.... Head over to the Simon Says Stamp & Show Design Team Blog and check out the amazing creations from my team mates and then run off to you crafty corner and get inky! We love seeing your artwork and there's this generous $50 prize to be won!!!!
Righteo, I must be awaying... Thanks for the visit! Happy crafting.
Sarah.

22 comments:

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Hi Sarah love this card and the simple layout is super ... but wondering if black ink is safer than burnt edges reckon would end up with burnt hands and prob more than that.. great job none the less, Shaz in oz.x

Helen said...

What a wonderful thank you card. I never have the right letters I need either....!

Sophie said...

Liebe Sarah...
das ist eine großartige Karte.
Die sieht einfach toll aus.

Liebe Grüße

Annie said...

Love this Sarah. Gorgeous male card. Fab papers you have used and I love those letters

TFS

Annie x

Redanne said...

Hi Sarah, there you are burning the place and me and my smoking iron on Kraft card and mine is nothing to do with babies (well maybe my new GD). Still, the end result is wonderful, love how you distressed the letters and that gold thread works beautifully. Love it! Hugs, Anne x

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Gorgeous card Sarah, I love the burnt edges against the earthy tones of the lettering which are also very striking in themselves. Lovely design and layout. Big hugs. Tracy x

Candy C said...

Sarah...your card is wonderful! I love the design. The grungeblocks looks fantastic running across the front of your card ... on top of the torn and distressed papers. I also love your machine stitching. That adds so much! As always, a wonderful and professional looking project! <3 Candy

Unknown said...

Great card, so unusual to see stitching on a manly card and it works really well here. Love the lettering. Maddy x

Suzanne C said...

Beautiful burnt edges! Very tempting to have a bonfire with all my scraps and old papers. Hmm.. maybe you will start a trend. :) Lovely card!

Marjie Kemper said...

Fire?!? Fire!?! Rock on. Sarah, with your awesome card and fabulous edges. Love it!

Sandra said...

Gorgeous card! Love the burnt edges, and the striking letters! Stunning! Hugs, Sandra

Tracey said...

FABulous "manly" card!!! So many distressd layers to admire...WOW!!!

Janny Jager said...

Very very beautiful Srah.
Love every detial.
Greetings Janny

Kyla said...

Lovely card.....mens are so difficult (or is that men are so difficult!!)....thanks for the inspiration.
kyla

Peggy Parker said...

Love it! I have rust issues, anyway.....

Gillian .... said...

Hey Sarah, I'm loving this bold/striking design, you are brave playing with fire lol.Hope all is well with you & little Ruby x

Kate Yetter said...

Gorgeous card! I love the stitching. Totally grungy and fabulous!

Anonymous said...

very cool card!!!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

The torn papers speak to me!!! I LOVE this card! The stitching is a plus!!! Pure Autumn eye candy!

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Fantastic card, Sarah! I love the distressed elements and the stitching!

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Marjie Kemper said...

Aaaah, I see I've lost my mind and already commented. Now don't feel too worried... I'm sure it's not still Baby Brain in my case, and you'll get your mind back much sooner than apparently I have (mine are 12 and 15, mind you.)

Terry said...

Hey there teamie, love your thank you card love the colors and the background looks just great. Fabulous. Hugs Terry xxxx