Monday, February 18, 2013

Metal-ology!

Good morning! Good morning! Dah dah dah dah dah...or however that song goes. It could well be the middle of the night in some places with many a Blogger, but in any case I will wish you a good one. Welcome to La De Dah and my new creation for Simon Says Stamp & Show. Be it shiny, rusty, foil, paint, embellies or but a pin and a button, we are into our crafty metal stuff this week...
 Metal and I have always been good buddies so I was in the mood for this weeks theme. I had an idea with a Mr. Tim watch bubbling for months but on the day I couldn't quite get it to come together. Plan B then...
 I love old tins of all shapes and sizes and think they make great substrates for art. Sometimes I use the actual tin, but I'm just as nuts about the lids too and that it is where my plan B came in. I started with a rusty lid, lined it with white-washed and stitched Kraft resist paper, stamped with a few of those rather well known flutterbys...
Then I started to plan the inside. I wanted the watch to be the main focal point and thought the girls rule face was perfect in size and mood. I also wanted a flurry of flowers so I started to play around with all my Idea-ology bits and pieces. Once I had that planned out, all the flowers, leaves, watch, swivel clasp and key were given a good dose of Alcohol ink, followed by a coat of Distress Embossing Powder. I heat until it smokes (!), add a few extra drops of Alcohol ink (fizzzzz!), heat again until it darkens and then leave WELL, WELL ALONE until cool!
Then it was a case of working on more details and the composition. I wanted to stay with the aged look and feel so I used lots of lace scraps to create contrast, texture and also a 'bed' for the metalwork. I used lots of matt medium to set everything in place.
I have often said I like to create lines that cross at right angles to give balance to a piece and lead the eye so I used a piece of vintage tape measure and a wrap of gold thread to do this. I then just needed to select a few simple stamped words and add a rusty wire hanger to finish off.

It's definitely a Sarah-style creation, but I never get tired of metal or rusty tones. They seem to be my 'go-to'... But seeing as metal comes in SO many crafty forms, styles and sizes, you can pick the one that's right up your street and have fun your way.
Want to see oodles of metal inspiration? Then take a look at the all the really wonderful ideas from the Design Team here!
We can't wait to see what you will come up with this week. We'll be choosing our Top Three Artists and there is also this great $50 shopping voucher to be won.
Right my dears, I must love you and leave you for a while. Thanks for being here. Until the next time...Sarah.

24 comments:

Juls said...

Wow this is stunning, love all the amazing detail. Hugs Juls

Helen said...

You are right, it is very Sarah like, and it is absolutely gorgeous!! I love the foliage meandering across the piece, and the Tim watch is fabulous. Totally love this!!

Suzanne C said...

Ohh.. Love that you used the tin for your background. The mix of soft and hard in the design is so lovely it adds a beautiful soft texture to your project. Beautiful design!

Claudia N. said...

So lovely!!!! Awesome textures combined to create beauty!

Hugs,
die amelie x

Trish Latimer said...

Phwoar!!! That is so *you* its silly! Love it to bits, gorgeous! xxxx

Redanne said...

This piece really is you Sarah, it is fabulous too! Love how you used the rusty tin lid and also the way you coloured the watch and flowers, they really stand out and draw the eye in. Love, love, love this piece! Hugs, Anne x

Candy C said...

Sarah...I so love this piece! Your tin background sets the tone for such a lovely, vintage, rusted looking piece. Really love the images, the trail of rusted flowers scattered across the piece and the lovely delicate detailing you have layered on the rusted background. A lovely piece. Hugs, Candy

Gillian .... said...

Uttery gorgeous, as always fab inspiration from you Sarah, LOVE your metal tin inspired project. Hope you & miss ruby are well. x

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Fabulous trademark Sarah piece. I love the combination of metal and touches of lace, lovely. Wonderful tactile piece and I love your use of the pocket watch too. The rusted flowers are perfect for adding that feminine touch proving that metal does not have to be masculine. Beautiful detailed piece Sarah. Tracy x x

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Agreed...a total trademark Sarah piece! Pure vintage goodness here! Love your altered grungey metals! The hanging is Fabulous!!! PINNED!!!

Annie said...

I so love this piece Sarah. The way you have pieced it together is fabulous.

A real treasure

TFS

Annie x

Peggy Lee said...

this is rustic fabulous!!!! love

Janny Jager said...

Amazing piece of art Sarah.
Great deatils.
love it.
Greetings Janny

Craftychris said...

ooh this is gorgeous! I love the contrast of the metal with the lace xx

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Very pretty, Sarah! I love your placement of embellishments!


*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Minxy said...

Like all the art pieces before it, your work is flawless, I love everything you make and this piece is no exception x

Kate Yetter said...

I love the rusty metal flowers and pocket watch! Your neutral colored background makes that metal pop. I love it!

Sandy said...

I guess I love the texture and colors most of all. Very interesting to look at - your eye just seems to float around the card - neat design!
sandy

Sandra said...

Stunning piece, Sarah! Love that you've used the lid of a tin box and made it your canvas! Absolutely gorgeous! Hugs, Sandra

Unknown said...

Fabulous creation. The background is wonderful to set off your watch and I love all those metallic flowers. Maddy x

Ibarra Creations 4U said...

This is just beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!!

Words and Pictures said...

I never get tired of your rusty delights either - this one is really special! The patina you've achieved on those flowers is just extraordinary - definitely inspires me to have a play, and the laces and that shabbied up paper are so beautiful too. I'd love this on my wall...
Alison x

Anonymous said...

simply gorgeous!!! Love all the layers and details!

Jenny Marples said...

What a feast of rustification! Love what you've done here. Hugs, Jenny x