Monday, December 3, 2012

Little House on the....

There's no ignoring it now... The fairy lights are twinkling, chocolate goodies abound, Bing is crooning and the first snow flurries have descended. Yes! The festive month has arrived and I finally gave into it and went all silvery. At Simon Says Stamp & Show we are "In the House" so to speak with our new House Rules Challenge theme.
As said, I felt a bit of the festive spirit creeping up on me, but I also wanted to try out something new with metal but not go down my normal route with the rusty tones. I love Tim's industrial metal technique and wondered how it would look as cladding for on my little Christmas house!
l got Mr. Hubby to saw off a chunk of wood for me, I sanded it down and then covered it in lots of  pieces of metal foil sheets. I tried to get all the raw edges to meet at right angles for a cleaner look. The wood block isn't perfectly square but let's mark that down as 'the rustic look'.... When it was all covered I used my Ten Seconds tools and scraper edge to create all the details.
It was then a case of rubbing a blob of black paint over the whole house and then wiping it off with kitchen paper, leaving some behind to create that 'dirty' look. Don't use too much paint. it needs to be a bit on the dry side to work well. I spent a while thinking of the right words and also knew I wanted to use my rosette die so Star seemed to be the perfect word... and then it led to me adding a few lines from "We Three Kings of Orient Are..."
 I'm definitely into my Grunge letters at the moment and a bit of gesso and Distress Ink gave me just the effect I needed.

 I then went for my peg stamps which really are a must in your stash as you can use them on SO MANY projects!!!!
 Finally my star which I created with more foil tape and paint. My Big Shot cutting boards are very worn but that actually gives me quite a nice bit of texture on my rosettes where the paint can get in! Before folding my rosettes I ran a piece of normal tape along the back as this holds them together better and prevents splitting. Just a spinner, more black paint on the Philosophy tag and two metally things I had in my stash -  and my house was built. Fa, la, la la, la... and all that.

The house theme is just perfect for December crafting! Are you looking for some great seasonal ideas for your home? Well, take a look at the totally fabulous creations from the Simon Says Stamp & Show Design Team for lots of inspiration! Then ski off to your crafty zone and join in as you could win this generous $50 prize! Just what your stash of stash needs! Right then, I'm away... Got a baby in 6th gear and she's ready to rumble (all the time). Thanks for popping by.
Sarah.

22 comments:

...the yorkshire fox... said...

...wow Sarah, this little piece is just stunning, I love the whole theme and texture and colour, the rosettes are fabulous with the ideaolgy tag and spinner, a beautiful inspiring piece...Mel :)

Helen said...

What a great theme this week, I love your little house!

Suzanne C said...

Beautiful Steampunk House. Love the metallic coat over the wooden house. And the burnished rosettes are wow!

Candy C said...

Sarah...your vintage metallic house is great! Love the words from "We Three Kings" that you've incorporated into this piece. Beautiful example of grunge at it's finest. :) <3 Candy

Hettie said...

Gorgeous wee house today Sarah. Love the overall effect and all the wonderful details in there.
Hugs
x

Inkypinkycraft said...

love it! trace x

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Gorgeous creation Sarah!

greetings, Alie :-)

Kate Yetter said...

Love that metal especially the rosettes! Gorgeous as always!
Kate

Redanne said...

Loving the little house Sarah, the metal technique looks wonderful on this shape and the rosettes are gorgeous. The words are perfect, must think about getting a peg alphabet, if I am good maybe Santa will bring me some.... Hugs, Anne x

Tracey said...

I am so loving this little metal house Sarah!!!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Love your metal clad house Sarah, right up my street lol. The wording/lettering is perfect and the rosette is a fabulous textural dimensional touch. I love the organic feel to this , fabulous. Tracy x

Anonymous said...

i love everything about this!!!!

Sandra said...

wow Sarah, this little metal house is wonderful! Love this industrial look very much too! Fabulous! Hugs, Sandra

Katy said...

This is so cool!!

Janny Jager said...

Very very beautiful creation Sarah.
Love it.
Greetings Janny

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Wow, Sarah! This piece turned out absolutely beautiful! You applied Tim's technique perfectly & I love the rosette you added!

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Heavy metal gorgeousness here! Love the rosette!

Lori said...

Love this Sarah! Love the metal, steampunk Christmas feel! Awesome!

Gillian .... said...

Now this is what I call a house, love your grungy/metal project this week. x

Sonia said...

It's the first time I'm visiting your blog and I'm so stunned about your artwork. I searched so long for a blog like yours because your style is exactly what i like. Thank you for sharing all the beautiful projects and I'm looking forward to your posts.
Hugs
Sonia

Kyla said...

ooh this is lovely. I love the metal patchwork technique....who'd have known this was a piece of offcut! Stunning
kyla

Words and Pictures said...

Completely love this... what a brilliant way to use the metal technique, and it looks just gorgeous!
Alison x